Friday, January 20, 2012

So - you want to see a psychic...

Over the last few months, a recurring theme discussion between me and a group of friends has been psychics, spiritualists, taro card readers and the like.  It seems to be a very popular subject among many of my different groups of friends.  Most see it as fun and entertaining. Some see it as a window into the unknown.  Some see it as comfort to hear a bit about a loved one who has passed.  I can see the lure - and feel the yearning to know what my Big Grandma would say about a certain situation... and a few years back I would have been all over it.  I would have went and believed.  It is easy to trust someone who is sitting right in front of you telling you things that no one else could know and seeming to know your past, present and future.  It certainly is enticing. But as I grow in my faith - I am constantly redirected back to the bible and what God has to say about my life.  It is an important tool that I use to guide me.  There are so many resources online and in print to help you de-code the writings and many, many versions of the bible.  It is the perfect guide for most any situation you could come across... and if you have a knowledgible Pastor, Priest or Rabbi, I am sure they could help you to understand and apply the Bible (or Old Testament) to any area of your life. 
I have friends of many faiths - but I would say that the bulk of my friends are either Christian (covering all types) or Jewish.  And that means that all that I "stumbled" upon in the bible (or Torah - for my Jewish friends) should apply to you.  You see - people all over will stand firm in their faith and proclaim what they "are" but many of them don't ever crack the book and they have no idea what it has to say.  I am not condemming anyone - for a great part of my life - I was Catholic - just because.  It was who I was.  I didn't practice it.  I didn't ponder it. I didn't understand it - it just was who I was.  And as far as for now - I am not claiming to be a biblical scholar - or super Christian or anything like that - I have a hard enough time remembering bible verses - I am not always in church on Sunday - and I fail everyday at being a good Christian - but I get right back up - ask for forgiveness and move on - once again consulting the bible for a way.
I was surprised by my strong reaction to a suggestion about having a psychic at one of the local fundraisers I am on the committee for.  I immediately voiced my opinion in complete opposition.  I felt so strongly against it that I may have come across as a tad too radical.  I can't expect the whole committee to do something just because I am opposed to it - but my real question is - Why aren't they opposed to it?  If most of my friends and groups of friends are either Christian or Jewish - why aren't they as opposed as I am.  They read the same Bible.  They have the same access as I do - why are they not seeking answers to questions from their book of faith?
With the help of a few friends, I looked up the topic of spiritualists and mediums... and all references are found in the Old Testament - which is why I can include my Jewish friends here.  The bible clearly states that practicing any spiritualist ways is detestable to the Lord and that God will turn His face away from those who follow them.  I don't know about you - but I certainly don't want God to turn His face away from me - and the things the Bible has to say about spiritualists is way too scary for me to tempt it. 
I pray that you, reading this, will seek your book of faith - like I said, for most of my friends - The Bible (or Torah) and see what it says to you about the issues in your life.  I can't hide (nor do I want to) that I am a firm believer of my God, His Son - Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit - and I know that the Bible can solve and answer so many peoples questions.  To God be the glory - but on a selfish note - this book has saved me.  You can find information on any topic and apply it to your life.  It is a constant learning and re-direction of yourself - but soooo worth.  I hope and pray that all of you, if you are not already, give it a try.  Crack open the book - for my Christian friends - the new testament is a good place to start.  The stories are applicable and real and they will help to guide you through you life.  I know that God will be sitting with with you when you are reading - and that is a million times more powerful, and awesome than any words from a psychic could ever be.   


Deuteronomy 18:9-13
Occult Practices
When you enter the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God.

Exodus 22:18
Social Responsibility
Do not allow a sorceress to live.

Leviticus 20:6
Punishments for Sin
I will set my face against anyone who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute themselves by following them, and I will cut them off from their people.

Leviticus 20:27
Punishments for Sin
A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads.

2 Kings 21:6
He sacrificed his own son in the fire, practiced divination, sought omens, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, arousing his anger.

Leviticus 19:31
Various Laws
Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.  

1 comment:

  1. Galatians 5:19-21
    New King James Version (NKJV)
    19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

    ReplyDelete