Thursday, July 21, 2011

I need a break

Just yesterday I posted on Facebook that I was taking a break from the all popular site for a few weeks.  I am an avid facebooker but I started to realize that maybe it was consuming too much of my time.  After all - I declared Monday to be "Media Free Monday" to our children at home and one of my biggest rules is "no media used in the house during school days"  except of course for me!  I would leave the site up on my desktop - checking it every few minutes... did someone respond to my funny post - did my neighbors, half sister's, daughters, sons, wife have the baby yet?  What is is about facebook that has me so hooked?  I will sit and look at an old friends Aunt's photos and look through the profiles of people I hardly know for hours... Whats up with this?  It is procrastination at its best.  The more I thought about it the clearer it became to me that I really don't need facebook in my life.  I know it is a great way to keep in touch and to see old friends and I know I will stay on as a user - but the time sucking has got to stop.  Maybe now I can get back to reading or sleeping or having a conversation with one of my kids without having one eye on the computer.  Sure it has been hard today to not click over - and the fact that I can stalk Facebook from my phone is so tempting - but I am going to try and stick it out - till August 1st!  I know this will post on Facebook because that is one of the ways I advertise a new post - but you can be assured that I will not be clicking on to see it from there.  If you need me - you can call like in the old days.  If it is your birthday. anniversary, first date, last date, first day with a new toothpaste, or you are waiting on line at the grocery store 3 people behind the lady with triplets that bought everything in threes... I will find out sooner or later.  If my neighbors half sister's daughters sons wife has the baby- I'm sure I will hear about that too!  In the meantime call me and maybe you can even stop by for a cup of coffee.  You might just find me curled up with a good book using up all of these fabulous Facebook free minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment