Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I was wrong...(hard to admit)

Each year in July I have a great responsibility.  I am the Assistant Director for a Vacation Bible School at my church.  I am sure many of you can relate to what a huge task it would be to place and look over 200 plus children and 90 plus staff.  It is HUGE - but I love it. 
Would you believe it if I told you that a few years back I hated VBS?  I thought that only crazy - bible bashing - weird hippie Jesus loving freaks would send their children there.  I would shake my head at my then sister in law when she told me my nephew was going thinking... that poor girl is so mislead - she is nuts!  A whole week of brain washing - bible thumping!  Ugh!  Not for me!  But I was wrong.  (hard to admit) I was so wrong.
The perspective I had about VBS is what helps me to be a better leader today.  Because I remember the way I felt about it and the church - I can help to assure others that VBS is not for weird hippie loving Jesus freaks - well OK the staff and lots of the kids are Jesus lovers - but they are not weird and they do not bible bash - they are just regular people with a firm belief in God, Jesus and the bible.  They are some of the best people I know.
I get so excited to share "my" church with others.  I love that these visitors can come and see my church in all its glory - serving the community and serving these families in such a positive way.  VBS is an awesome week of happy, fun, crazy, horse riding, water balloon, singing and learning all in the name of Jesus.  The kids love it - the volunteers love it and I love it.
So I wonder why - after such an amazing week that some of the people who are there visiting don't want to jump right in and start coming to my church.  Can't they see all that this church has to offer?  Can't they see the awesome network of friends?  Can't they see the kind and compassionate side of these church people like I did?  Can't they see?  They sit there stuck in a meaningless world filled with hatred and self pity - when all the while there is this party going on right around them that they are encouraged to join.
Maybe they hold back out of fear - after all who wants to look like a Jesus freak?  I know I didn't... Maybe they don't feel worthy of receiving love - especially from strangers.  I know I didn't... Maybe they are just stuck in old traditions and scared to explore what is not "normal" to them.  I know I was...  But I found that when I did start to open up and let go of my fear and allow others to show me what they had, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. 
Let's put Jesus aside for a minute here... when I started going to this church it wasn't because of Jesus or God or really for any faith reason.  It was because of the people I met at the church.  They were the real reason I started going.  I was jealous of the people.  I wanted what they had - I wanted to be happy and to have a great group of friends that I could rely on - people that would always steer me in the right direction - friends with good advice and lots of love.  No gossip - no back stabbing.  That is what I saw at first... what I got was so much more. 
As I started opening up and listening and reading and learning I finally figured out the real reason I was there.  It was to build my faith and belief in God, Jesus and the Bible that was the only real way to get what they had.  The reason why they love, is because they are trying to show God's love.  They reason why they care is the same.  They do not gossip - and hold each other accountable for the same.  They give great advice - because they are speaking from a solid and firm background of faith.  They are the body of Christ... they are doing His work.
Now I don't want to get all bible bashy here and I don't want to freak anyone out... I just wish that others could see all that they could have... if they just gave it a chance.  If they just softened a little - just a little - and opened up - they would see all that they could have - a life filled with happiness and Joy - a great group of friends - lots of love - and yes, at the core of it all... Jesus.
He is the way, the truth and the life and I hope and pray that I have done His work at VBS - leading people to Him - showing people about Him and helping to remove a stereotype here and there.  I pray that all who are lost will find Him and feel the love! I pray for people to see the truth... and explore the possibilities.  I know they won't be sorry they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment