Friday, June 10, 2011

Field Day

Today was field day at our elementary school.  It is always a fun day for the kids and a hot day for the adults.  I was happy to be a part of it as I always am happy to be where my children can see me!  Most of the kids get through field day with ease.  They can do all of the events.  They can hop, jump, kick, catch, throw, balance and much more.  But there is a small percentage of kids that can't.  I'm not just talking about the kids who aren't athletic - I am talking about the kids who CAN'T.  They have a disability, an obstacle or an issue that prevents them from being able to do what comes natural to most kids.  There are only a handful of these kids - but they are there.  I tend to gravitate towards these kids.  I love them.  I want to advocate for them and I want them to be as involved as they can be.  I want them to feel the satisfaction of a job well done and I want them to feel the excitement of teamwork!  Most of you know that my son, Angelo has faced a few obstacles of his own.  He has add - or adhd - or focusing issues - whatever you want to call it.  It is not severe.  It is not life threatening - so I am not trying to put him in a category that he isn't in.  He is smart and he is able...  he just can't seem to get those ants out of his pants.  Years ago, a child like Angelo would have been labeled as difficult and maybe even slow because we didn't have the knowledge or resources in schools to give him the help he needs to succeed.  I am so happy to say that Angelo has never felt like he was difficult or slow... he has consistently been encouraged by most of the adults around him.  At first, when he was in pre-school - he was encouraged by his teachers there.  He went to pre-school at my church and the teachers there knew him very well - but they always went above and beyond to help him succeed.  At Sunday school, his teachers went out of their way to find a "task" for Angelo so he would be able to focus better on the lesson.  And finally when he went to school, he was placed in the blended program and with the most fabulous teachers a mom could ask for.  He was encouraged and praised and taught in a way that was perfect for him!  What a blessing.  My prayers have been answered over and over again for my Angelo.  God has given him exactly what he needed.  Loving teachers and mentors to guide him in a positive way.  They found his strengths and showed him how to run with them.  Angelo is a great student today.  He is reading at grade level - he is writing at grade level - he is excelling in math and science and he is HAPPY!  We are so thankful!  So when I see children who have an obvious issue coming to my station in filed day I want to hug them.  I want to be to them what others have been to my son.  I want them to excell and conquer and be happy!  I think that we should all treat these children with extra love.  I know that if we all treated them that way - we would see them take off and do things that we never expected them to do.  They may be special - they may be different - but they deserve to feel happy and loved and part of the normal student body.  I pray that I can make a small difference in some of their lives and I pray that others try to do the same. 

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven. - Matthew 18:10

No comments:

Post a Comment