Tuesday, June 21, 2011

He's three days old!

I knew it was coming - I just knew it - but the relentless march of time got the best of me.  I was a new mother, and my son was three days old.  I was weepy and so hormonal that it was no wonder that I was crying... "He's three days old!" I cried to my sister.  She sat there looking at me - not yet a mother - but soon to be and said..."Yeah - he's only three days old..."  like she totally didn't get it - but I did.  9 months of pregnancy - GONE - hours of labor - OVER - and here he was and three days had passed ALREADY!  Where had the time gone - it was three days ALREADY!  I mourned the fact the he was so... old. 

I knew what this meant.  Three days would turn into three weeks then months then years and now...  I tried to savor every moment - the fading baby smell - the first tooth - first steps - and in a blur it went by.  Before I knew it - we had Angelo - years - then Vincent - years - we moved into a new home - years - 1st day of kindergarten! - years - he can swim now! - years - he plays the piano! - years - he is in 5th grade! WOW!  I can't believe it.  He is almost taller than me... his feet are bigger than mine - this sweet baby that was cradled in my arms - not that long ago... but years away.  Tomorrow he will graduate from elementary school and I know that the next few years will fly by and before I know it he will be graduating from High School - years.

I am so proud of him I can hardly stand it.  he is such a kind and gentle soul.  He is, as I call him, my "Best Big Boy".  He is a friend to everyone and does not see limitations in anyone he meets.  His catch word is GREAT!  Sal, how was school? GREAT - How was your day? GREAT - and he is great!  Always with a smile - always willing to help - always there to share a hearty laugh.  I love him as any mother would - but I LIKE him as a person too.  He is someone I would want to spend time with. 

I am so looking forward to the next few years with him - and to seeing where his life takes me.  I thank God for him and all of my boys and I am so in love with my life.  I just want to freeze this time - because before I know it... he'll be three days older.

2 comments:

  1. Yet another tear rolls down my face from the FULL NANCY!!! I can see you as you speak these words with such emotion... and your boys are the way they are because of YOU... so I applaud you for a job WELL DONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy as I read this I am thinking about my daughters high school graduation this Saturday you have made me remember all the things she did when she was little, and now that she is a young woman i miss those days but I am so proud of the person that she has turned out to be thank you for the beautiful words and take it from me savor every minute with them it comes much sooner than you think

    ReplyDelete