Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Hot Spot

I am a New Yorker through and through - so why can't I get this feeling out of my head - that maybe I am a little displaced?  Maybe, just maybe I was meant to be someplace else.  My sister calls it my "Hot Spot".  She says that one day I will live in a "Hot Spot" and wear flowing clothes.  I think she is right.  I mean I love New York - but I am a tropical girl down at heart.  I love to vacation where there are palm trees and for my honeymoon I picked Hawaii.  I dream of Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain... wait that's a song - but you get the picture.  I wonder what the heck my grandparents were thinking when they decided to move... here!  I mean did they really leave their country, settle in the city and then take a train to Babylon and say... "OOOOOHHHHH Here - this is where I want to be - right here in the middle of nowhere".  I have heard my mother say that my grandmother choose NOT to live on the water because it wasn't safe.  Great choice grandma!  And the same goes for my husband's family.  They came from Italy, moved to the city and then took the train a little further - but not quite as far as the Hamptons - like 10 minutes shy of it... in Shirley - what were they thinking?  I am happy that I was brought up around family - I just wish the location was a little different... so as I write this I think of my children.  I am making the choices that write their story.  Am I making the right ones?  I know Angelo is a tropical boy, Salvatore just wants to fish and Vince would be happy nestled anywhere as long as he is next to me.  I think about my hot spot - where will it be?  Will I ever get there?  Or maybe my  hot spot just consists of a string of tropical vacations played out over time.  I don't know where the future will take us - I just hope we are together and that maybe, occasionally we can see a palm tree in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment